Gerjo Kok (1948) is a social psychologist with a MSc and PhD from the University of Groningen. He was professor of health promotion and chair of the Department of Health Promotion at Maastricht University in 1984-1998. He was appointed as the endowed professor for Aids prevention and health promotion 1992-2004. Since 1998 Gerjo Kok is professor of applied psychology at Maastricht. From 1998-2006 he was dean of the School of Psychology and Neuroscience there. His publications concern the application of social psychological theory to planned behaviour change. He is co-author of: “Planning Health Promotion programs: An Intervention Mapping Approach”, 2016.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Communication, Language
- Group Processes
- Health Psychology
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Organizational Behavior
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Social Cognition
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Bartholomew Eldredge, L. K., Markham, C. M., Ruiter, R. A. C., Fernàndez, M. E., Kok, G., & Parcel, G. S. (2016). Planning health promotion programs: An Intervention Mapping approach, 4th edition. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.ISBN-13: 978-1119035497
- Godin, G., & Kok, G. (1996). The theory of planned behavior: A review of its applications to health-related behaviors. American Journal of Health Promotion, 11, 87-98.
- Kok, G., Lo, S. H., Peters, G-J. Y., & Ruiter, R. A. C. (2011). Changing energy-related behavior: An Intervention Mapping approach. Energy Policy, 39, 5280-5286.
- Schaalma, H., & Kok, G. (2009). Decoding health education interventions: The times are a-changin' . Psychology & Health, 24, 5-9.
- Ruiter, R. A. C., Abraham, C., & Kok, G. (2001). Scary warnings and rational precautions: A review of the psychology of fear appeals. Psychology & Health, 16, 613-630.
- Peters, L. H. W., Kok, G., Ten Dam, G. T. M., Buijs, G. J., & Paulussen, T. G. W. M. (2009). Effective elements of school health promotion across behavioral domains: A systematic review of reviews. BMC Public Health, 9(182).
- Lehmann, B. A., Chapman, G. B., Franssen, F. M., Kok, G., & Ruiter, R. A., 2016. Changing the default to promote influenza vaccination among health care workers. Vaccine, 34(11), 1389-1392.
- Kok, G., Schaalma, H. P., Ruiter, R. A. C., Brug, J., & Van Empelen, P. (2004). Intervention mapping: Protocol for applying health psychology theory to prevention programs. Journal of Health Psychology, 9, 85-98.
- Kok, G., Peters, G-J.Y. Peters, Kessels, L.T.E., Ten Hoor, G.A. & Ruiter, R.A.C. (2018). Ignoring theory and misinterpreting evidence: the false belief in fear appeals. Health Psychology Review, 12, online.
- Stutterheim, S. E., Sicking, L., Brands, R., Baas, I., Roberts, H., van Brakel, W. H., Lechner, L, Kok, G. & Bos, A. E., 2014. Patient and provider perspectives on HIV and HIV-related stigma in Dutch health care settings. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 28(12), 652-665.
- Kok, G., Hospers, H. J., Harterink, P., & De Zwart, O. (2007). Social-cognitive determinants of HIV risk-taking intentions among men who date men through the Internet. Aids Care, 19, 410-417.
- Kok, G., Gurabardhi, Z., Gottlieb, N.H. & Zijlstra F.R.H., 2015. Influencing organizations to promote health: Applying stakeholder theory. Health Education & Behavior, 42(1S) 123S–132S.
- Kok, G., Gottlieb, N. H., Commers, M., & Smerecnik, C. (2008). The ecological approach in health promotion programs: A decade later. American Journal of Health Promotion, 22.
- Harmsen, I.A., Mollema, L., Ruiter, R.A.C., Paulussen, T.G.W., de Melker, H.E. & Kok, G., 2013. Why parents refuse childhood vaccination: a qualitative study using online focus groups. BMC Public Health 13 (1), 1183.
- De Bruin, M., Hospers, H. J., Van Breukelen, G. J. P., Kok, G., Koevoets, W. M., & Prins, J. M. (2010). Electronic monitoring-based counseling to enhance adherence among HIV-infected patients: A randomized controlled trial. Health Psychology, 29, 421-428.
- Kok, G., Gottlieb, N. H., Peters, G.-J. Y., Mullen, P. D., Parcel, G. S., Ruiter, R. A. C., Fernández, M. E., Markham, C., & Bartholomew, L. K., 2016. A taxonomy of behavior change methods; an Intervention Mapping approach. Health Psychology Review.
- Ten Hoor, G.A., Plasqui, G., Schols, A.M.W.J. & Kok, G. (2018). A benefit of being heavier is being strong: a cross-sectional study in young adults. Sports Medicine – Open, 4:12.
Department of Work & Social Psychology
P.O. Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht
- Phone: +31 43 3881908
- Fax: +31 43 3884199